Federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

The Federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit (CDCTC) helps offset some or all of the expenses paid to someone to care for your child or children when you work or look for work. The credit is non-refundable, meaning it only lowers your federal taxes owed, but is not returned to you as a cash refund.

The CDCTC is administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Application Information:

To claim the federal CDCTC, you will need to provide the name, address, and tax identification number of the child care provider. 

You may be eligible to claim the child and dependent care credit if:

  • You paid expenses for the care of a qualifying individual to enable you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) to work or actively look for work.
  • You (or your spouse if filing a joint return) lived in the United States for more than half of the year. However, special rules apply to military personnel stationed outside of the United States.

You may qualify for free tax return preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or AARP Tax-Aide.

These programs help prepare federal and state income tax and property tax refund returns. You can find a VITA or AARP tax preparation site in Minnesota by entering your zip code or address in the search tool. The search tool also provides information about how to find sites where help is available in Spanish, Hmong, Somali, or other languages

 You can also call United Way 2-1-1 by dialing 2-1-1 (651-291-0211 for cell phone users).

Find out if you are eligible to claim the Child and Dependent Care credit.