Minnesota Child Tax Credit and Working Family Credit

The Minnesota Child Tax Credit (CTC) is a refundable credit equal to $1,750 per child under 18, with no limit on the number of children. The credit phases out for those whose income is over $29,500 ($35,000 for Married Filing Jointly).

The Minnesota Working Family Credit (WFC) is a refundable credit for working individuals whose income is below a certain level.

Application Information: 

You may qualify for free tax return preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or AARP Tax-Aide.

These programs help prepare federal and state income tax and property tax refund returns. You can find a VITA or AARP tax preparation site in Minnesota by entering your zip code or address in the search tool. The search tool also provides information about how to find sites where help is available in Spanish, Hmong, Somali, or other languages

 You can also call United Way 2-1-1 by dialing 2-1-1 (651-291-0211 for cell phone users).

To qualify for the Minnesota Child Tax Credit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a child under the age of 17 who lives with you for more than half the year
  • You are not a dependent of another person.
  • File Minnesota Individual Tax return even if you are not required to file because you make little to no income.
  • Be a resident of Minnesota for a year or more.
  • Meet the income requirements.
  • Single parent household making the total of $29,500 and Married household making $35,000 per year will receive $1750 for each.
  • The credit starts to get smaller once your income is above the $29,000 and $35,000.
  • Have a social security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

To qualify for the Minnesota Working Family Credit, you must meet the following requirements: 

  • Be a resident of the Minnesota
  • You are not a dependent of another person.
  • If you are married and you or your spouse are a nonresident alien, your filing status must be Married Filing Jointly.
  • If you have no qualifying children, you and your spouse must have resided in the U.S. for more than half of 2023.